Skip to main content

God or Science??

I was pointed to an interesting discussion by one of the youth in my Church (thanks Dustin)between a bunch of young people discussing whether God or Science is the answer. The discussion can be found here (if you have a Facebook account), but I will warn you there are 96 posts at the time I am publishing this. There are so many interesting comments, but I wanted to share with you a little of what happened.

This was the discussion starter:
i wondered...is science wrong???or is god wrong???i believe in god, but what i'm wondering, is that how come that science is more believable than god? whats the difference? (have pity i'm 14 years old) science was created by mankind... so how come mankind isn't wrong?we've been wrong before... tons of times hell we may even be wrong about everything...haha just realized science made computers...but still... we think the big bang made everything, and it did...it also made godBTW!!! god didn't make mankind... if you've been to church you'd realize that.one last thing before people start telling me i'm wrong with huge explantations and what not. the bible was written, science was also written, or learned, or w/eguess who wrote/taught both?mankind

From that a huge argument broke out about evolution vs. creation. Some of these people have done a LOT of homework on this subject and argue very well...both ways...by the end I was frustrated so here is what I wrote:

I think the issue here is not to prove who is right and who is wrong. When it comes to the beginning of the world (something that happened at least thousands of years ago), it is not possible to have hard evidence. I would agree with Cameron, that there are some significant things left unproven in the theory of evolution leaving some serious holes...that is why it is called a theory, it is based on some facts that have been tested in some ways, but it still takes faith to put your trust in that theory because some things don't seem to add up. I would agree with Arash in that it is also obvious that there are some things that are unproven in the creation story...it takes faith to put your trust in a God creating the earth. I don't think either is provable, so to a certain degree this argument is pointless, except to show that neither can be proven.I would suggest that Christians should concentrate more on the evidence that God is real in their own lives. If God is real in my life, according to the Bible, he should make a difference in the way I live my life and in how much I care for
people...I think there is plenty of evidence for that...the sad reality is that there is plenty of evidence to the contrary as well. I would suggest that Christians (of which I am one) should concentrate more on the evidence that can actually be seen...in the way I love and care for God's greatest creation, his people.

What do you think?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Fantastically put Trevor!
Thank you for sharing that with us non-Facebookers.

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Drinking Bullies

I feel as though I am about to have a fight with a bully, I fully expect this post to be read as hurtful and condemning to many. That may be the case but here goes anyway. I have long been frustrated by coffee drinkers. I realize that probably 95% of those who are in the blogosphere are those who are regular coffee drinkers, actually *ahem* probably not regular coffee drinkers, they are people who are very particular about the coffee they drink. Most times they take one sip of coffee and declare it to be horrible, or wonderful, or somewhere in between. They do NOT drink any free coffee, especially the coffee served at churches, they do not just go to the corner store for coffee, their coffee must meet very specific requirements and standards. If they make it at home they do not just use a coffeemaker, they must use a various assortment of grinders, presses, and perhaps going as far as to roast their own beans. I know that I am not cool for criticizing coffee drinkers and their habits,

My Work Against Homelessness

I have been thinking quite a lot about homelessness (over the last two years especially) and have come to all kinds of conclusions about myself and the things that I (and the church) need to do in order to help people who are in that situation. I have been involved in a few organizations who work with homeless people and met with many people to discuss what I/we should be doing to help. I finally discovered something very important that I can do right now. I am reading t his book called Bent Hope which is a really interesting read. The author is a Youth Worker who works with young people who live on the streets in Toronto. He walks the streets and hangs out with them and helps when he can. He basically just tells the stories of his encounters with people and talks a little bit about what he has learned from them. I am loving it! So, I know what I am supposed to do to help homelessness. In his book, pretty much everyone he encounters he mentions how they come from a family situa

Mustachio

I have entered the dark underworld of a mustache growing contest, having been drawn in by Nicky's (my wife's) brothers. This is a picture of how put together I looked without a mustache. If you look at the picture below, it would seem that the mustache itself has gotten to me. I am not saying that growing a mustache means you become a drunk, sleazy, stuck in the 80s, trying-to-be-young-but-not-being-successful-at-it type of person, but that is what it has done to me. I find that when I walk I have a different gait, one that I tried to use back in Jr. High...to look cool. I find that I have a renewed passion for wearing hi-top shoes with the laces undone. I have a need to wear brigh t coloured clothing, and I have been looking for acid-wash pants at Value Village (unsuccesfully). The thing is that I also have many good friends who are growing mustaches, and have had mustaches for a long period of time, it doesn't seem to have this kind of impact on them. I work at a churc