Skip to main content

I am of the Wrong Shape!


Today I started something that I have been talking about for years. It all began when I was a youngster. I remember looking at my uncle and noticing a funny shaped round belly on an otherwise very skinny frame. To me it reminded me of a skinny pregnant woman. I remember realizing that I have a similar build and I remember hoping that I would never wind up with that crazy shape. I am 34 now, and though I would probably still be considered tall and skinny, I am starting to lose the skinny part of that distinction. People used to often say things like, "how do you eat so much, and stay so thin?" Now they say, "how do you eat so much?" I have noticed that I am starting to get the round belly that my uncle had, and horror of horrors I am starting to grow two things on my chest that only belong on women. Yes, man-boobs!
The breaking point came this weekend, when I was at a Vikings game in Minneapolis (they won, woohoo), I realized that when I was climbing the stairs at the metrodome (and we didn't have many to climb) my legs became wobbly, I was sweating profusely and my heart rate was way too high. As we were driving home, we were talking about how having kids and a busy life can really take away from having an active lifestyle - I don't really have time to play basketball anymore, or floor hockey, or anything half regular at all - or at least that is my excuse. I might run around with my kids on occasion, but they are 7, 5 and 3, and I can easily beat them at whatever we are doing without really breaking a sweat, so I don't try hard enough to break a sweat.
So today, I started my workout, here at church, where I work. I talked to Nicky and she was OK with me not coming home for lunch and spending that time working out in our gym (thankfully our church sanctuary converts into a gym every week). I love to play basketball so I designed myself a basketball workout...here is what I did:
  • Warm up - Stretching - shooting hoops - running for the rebound and putting in a layup
  • Cardio - How many layups can I do in 5 minutes? (26 apparently) I run full court to do each lay up and must put it in.
  • Strength and conditioning - Push ups - how many can I do in 1 minute? (20 apparently - ugh) - Jumping - I touch the basketball to the rim 10 times on each side
  • Cool Down - 20 post up moves, plus shooting hoops as before, then stretching.
  • Shower

I realize that this is probably pathetic compared to what a lot of you do but it's a start for me. A couple things I learned through this process. 1. Push ups are ridiculously hard, especially when you have put on about 35 pound since the last time you have done them. 2. I can't dunk the basketball anymore. 3. It is really hard to get the ball in the basket when you are super tired. 4. Bring a towel when you need to shower - the paper towel works but that is really wasteful! 5. You still sweat even after you have showered - allowing me to make all kinds of friends in the office.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Drinking Bullies

I feel as though I am about to have a fight with a bully, I fully expect this post to be read as hurtful and condemning to many. That may be the case but here goes anyway. I have long been frustrated by coffee drinkers. I realize that probably 95% of those who are in the blogosphere are those who are regular coffee drinkers, actually *ahem* probably not regular coffee drinkers, they are people who are very particular about the coffee they drink. Most times they take one sip of coffee and declare it to be horrible, or wonderful, or somewhere in between. They do NOT drink any free coffee, especially the coffee served at churches, they do not just go to the corner store for coffee, their coffee must meet very specific requirements and standards. If they make it at home they do not just use a coffeemaker, they must use a various assortment of grinders, presses, and perhaps going as far as to roast their own beans. I know that I am not cool for criticizing coffee drinkers and their habits,

My Work Against Homelessness

I have been thinking quite a lot about homelessness (over the last two years especially) and have come to all kinds of conclusions about myself and the things that I (and the church) need to do in order to help people who are in that situation. I have been involved in a few organizations who work with homeless people and met with many people to discuss what I/we should be doing to help. I finally discovered something very important that I can do right now. I am reading t his book called Bent Hope which is a really interesting read. The author is a Youth Worker who works with young people who live on the streets in Toronto. He walks the streets and hangs out with them and helps when he can. He basically just tells the stories of his encounters with people and talks a little bit about what he has learned from them. I am loving it! So, I know what I am supposed to do to help homelessness. In his book, pretty much everyone he encounters he mentions how they come from a family situa

Mustachio

I have entered the dark underworld of a mustache growing contest, having been drawn in by Nicky's (my wife's) brothers. This is a picture of how put together I looked without a mustache. If you look at the picture below, it would seem that the mustache itself has gotten to me. I am not saying that growing a mustache means you become a drunk, sleazy, stuck in the 80s, trying-to-be-young-but-not-being-successful-at-it type of person, but that is what it has done to me. I find that when I walk I have a different gait, one that I tried to use back in Jr. High...to look cool. I find that I have a renewed passion for wearing hi-top shoes with the laces undone. I have a need to wear brigh t coloured clothing, and I have been looking for acid-wash pants at Value Village (unsuccesfully). The thing is that I also have many good friends who are growing mustaches, and have had mustaches for a long period of time, it doesn't seem to have this kind of impact on them. I work at a churc