Skip to main content

Too Many Clothes


About a year ago, I read Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne and I remember being so overwhelmed with all the things I felt I needed to change in my life. At that point I made a decision to take one thing from each book that I read. I couldn't handle more than that.

A few weeks back I finished reading Ronald Sider's book, Rich Christians in an Age of Poverty. I once again could have been overwhelmed, but I decided to take one thing, (I might cheat and take a few) here is the thing I am taking from this book.

Sider talks a lot about living more simply and giving more to help the poor (especially giving to micro loan organizations), he mentions in his book that he thinks that most of the people reading the book could go 2 years without buying new clothes. I have decided to take the challenge (many people I know, especially the youth from my church, are thinking - hasn't he done that the last 15 years already?). Regardless, here are the items in my closet that I am starting out with.

Shirts
  • 1 hoody
  • 6 long sleeve shirts
  • 2 sweaters
  • 5 short-sleeved button up shirts
  • 12 long-sleeved button up shirts
  • 18 T-shirts or polo shirts
Pants:
  • 4 Jeans
  • 2 Cargo Pants
  • 3 Casual Pants
  • 4 Shorts
  • 3 Swim Trunks
3 Suits and 1 Coat

44 Shirts! FORTY FOUR SHIRTS, am I serious?! I don't know if that is normal, but it is sickening to me. I really don't think of myself as being concerned about fashion, but somehow I have obtained XLIV shirts! Especially button-up shirts, I don't even like dressing up! I will not see new clothes for the next 2 years.

Anyone want to join me? Or at least let me know how many shirts you have just to see if I am a freak (or a pack rat) or not.

Comments

Brian said…
Exciting challenge! I've recently been wondering if I have too many clothes. Part of my committment is to not only abstain from buying new clothes, but going through and figuring out which ones I "need" (or at least wear often) and which ones I can go without.

I have a friend without a coat and I have two, he's getting one next time I see him.

I'm not quite ready to commit to going two years, but I'm there with you in spirit.

PS Now I have another book to add to my reading list. Thanks!?
Anonymous said…
Great book isn't it? I just read it this summer, loved it. I just ordered Re:jesus from Michael Frost, Alan Hirsch. Anyway, i think you can do it. I decided a while ago if I get new cloths, which is never that i will give away my old ones, or at least go one for one.
MIss ya

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Drinking Bullies

I feel as though I am about to have a fight with a bully, I fully expect this post to be read as hurtful and condemning to many. That may be the case but here goes anyway. I have long been frustrated by coffee drinkers. I realize that probably 95% of those who are in the blogosphere are those who are regular coffee drinkers, actually *ahem* probably not regular coffee drinkers, they are people who are very particular about the coffee they drink. Most times they take one sip of coffee and declare it to be horrible, or wonderful, or somewhere in between. They do NOT drink any free coffee, especially the coffee served at churches, they do not just go to the corner store for coffee, their coffee must meet very specific requirements and standards. If they make it at home they do not just use a coffeemaker, they must use a various assortment of grinders, presses, and perhaps going as far as to roast their own beans. I know that I am not cool for criticizing coffee drinkers and their habits,

My Work Against Homelessness

I have been thinking quite a lot about homelessness (over the last two years especially) and have come to all kinds of conclusions about myself and the things that I (and the church) need to do in order to help people who are in that situation. I have been involved in a few organizations who work with homeless people and met with many people to discuss what I/we should be doing to help. I finally discovered something very important that I can do right now. I am reading t his book called Bent Hope which is a really interesting read. The author is a Youth Worker who works with young people who live on the streets in Toronto. He walks the streets and hangs out with them and helps when he can. He basically just tells the stories of his encounters with people and talks a little bit about what he has learned from them. I am loving it! So, I know what I am supposed to do to help homelessness. In his book, pretty much everyone he encounters he mentions how they come from a family situa

Mustachio

I have entered the dark underworld of a mustache growing contest, having been drawn in by Nicky's (my wife's) brothers. This is a picture of how put together I looked without a mustache. If you look at the picture below, it would seem that the mustache itself has gotten to me. I am not saying that growing a mustache means you become a drunk, sleazy, stuck in the 80s, trying-to-be-young-but-not-being-successful-at-it type of person, but that is what it has done to me. I find that when I walk I have a different gait, one that I tried to use back in Jr. High...to look cool. I find that I have a renewed passion for wearing hi-top shoes with the laces undone. I have a need to wear brigh t coloured clothing, and I have been looking for acid-wash pants at Value Village (unsuccesfully). The thing is that I also have many good friends who are growing mustaches, and have had mustaches for a long period of time, it doesn't seem to have this kind of impact on them. I work at a churc