Skip to main content

My Children...Disciples

I am just sitting in the library listening (well...half listening as I write a sermon) to the Exponential Conference online (it's a conference for people planting churches), and just heard this one little bit from Greg Nettle.

It is a convicting example, and maybe it's harsh and probably it's not the way I would have spoken it, but here is approximately what he said...then adapted it to my situation.
One day when I stand before God, I don't want to stand there and say to him, "God, look at what happened at Grace Point! People whose lives were destroyed received grace and love, people who needed hope, got it in you through what happened there.  Isn't it great?!" Only to have God say to me, "Yeah, but where are your kids? Where's Ben? Where's Hannah? Where's Owen?"
I don't know if he meant it as a guilt thing, but I am sitting in the library crying my eyes out.  Am I discipling my kids? Do I care more about the grace and hope that people gain at grace point then the grace and hope that is needed at home...I don't want that to be true.  And the wave of emotion I am feeling is indicating to me that there may be some truth to it.

I don't think I am taking it as a guilt thing, maybe more as a convicting thing, something that will lead me to be a better husband and Father.  I hope so.

I love my kids, and I don't intend to leave them with the leftovers, but so many times I am tired and worn out by the time they get my time.  Other times they are the ones who get neglected because I am busy with other people.  Other times, I just don't take the time to sit down with them and talk about what hope and grace God offers them...

It's not to devalue other people in my life...but just to value my family, the way they should be.

Where does this leave me?

I don't know, it's raw, and maybe shouldn't be broadcast on the internet...but I thought I needed to process this thought while it was fresh...and no one in the library seemed to be willing to comfort me and wipe my tears.  So, there it is...

Comments

Oldnag said…
You and me both. I spend so much time worrying about the people I work with and then I take my kids for granted. What do they need to see from me daily? More than what they are currently seeing. Not that my co-workers don't need Jesus, but as a father, my kids need to be more of a focus instead of an afterthought in this arena.
Oldnag said…
My comment is only 8 months late - that's not so bad right?

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Drinking Bullies

I feel as though I am about to have a fight with a bully, I fully expect this post to be read as hurtful and condemning to many. That may be the case but here goes anyway. I have long been frustrated by coffee drinkers. I realize that probably 95% of those who are in the blogosphere are those who are regular coffee drinkers, actually *ahem* probably not regular coffee drinkers, they are people who are very particular about the coffee they drink. Most times they take one sip of coffee and declare it to be horrible, or wonderful, or somewhere in between. They do NOT drink any free coffee, especially the coffee served at churches, they do not just go to the corner store for coffee, their coffee must meet very specific requirements and standards. If they make it at home they do not just use a coffeemaker, they must use a various assortment of grinders, presses, and perhaps going as far as to roast their own beans. I know that I am not cool for criticizing coffee drinkers and their habits,

My Work Against Homelessness

I have been thinking quite a lot about homelessness (over the last two years especially) and have come to all kinds of conclusions about myself and the things that I (and the church) need to do in order to help people who are in that situation. I have been involved in a few organizations who work with homeless people and met with many people to discuss what I/we should be doing to help. I finally discovered something very important that I can do right now. I am reading t his book called Bent Hope which is a really interesting read. The author is a Youth Worker who works with young people who live on the streets in Toronto. He walks the streets and hangs out with them and helps when he can. He basically just tells the stories of his encounters with people and talks a little bit about what he has learned from them. I am loving it! So, I know what I am supposed to do to help homelessness. In his book, pretty much everyone he encounters he mentions how they come from a family situa

Mustachio

I have entered the dark underworld of a mustache growing contest, having been drawn in by Nicky's (my wife's) brothers. This is a picture of how put together I looked without a mustache. If you look at the picture below, it would seem that the mustache itself has gotten to me. I am not saying that growing a mustache means you become a drunk, sleazy, stuck in the 80s, trying-to-be-young-but-not-being-successful-at-it type of person, but that is what it has done to me. I find that when I walk I have a different gait, one that I tried to use back in Jr. High...to look cool. I find that I have a renewed passion for wearing hi-top shoes with the laces undone. I have a need to wear brigh t coloured clothing, and I have been looking for acid-wash pants at Value Village (unsuccesfully). The thing is that I also have many good friends who are growing mustaches, and have had mustaches for a long period of time, it doesn't seem to have this kind of impact on them. I work at a churc