Skip to main content

Mennonite Beer and Dancing


Folklorama is an event in Winnipeg where you will come to learn that there are basically four parts to a culture - music, food, alcohol and dancing. There could be a little more to culture then that, but since I have now been indoctrinated into Folklorama-ism, that is what I have now come to believe.

The last couple of days I have been attending with Nicky and then with Owen and Hannah last night. It is a great festival where countries or cultures put on a show in various pavilions around Winnipeg. Each evening, you could go to 3 different pavilions and take in their culture for an hour.
If I were to label myself a specific culture, I would call myself a Mennonite - of course my Dad would say that Mennonite is "not a culture, it is a denomination." Anyway, in the Mennonite "culture" we have great music, the best food (hello wareneki, sausage and schmaunt fat or roll kuchen and watermelon...mmmm...), but we have no alcohol or dancing - both lead to sex, which is the ultimate sin. When I watched the Brazilians and the Africans dancing or the celtic river dancers I began to wish that I had grown up with dancing. My kids were right into the dancing and just eating it up, and they do some things that could be mistaken for dancing, but the other day we were watching a dance lesson on TV and my kids were trying to do it. I got up to join them and Ben said, "Daa-aad, you don't need to practice, you already are a good dancer." I realized at that point that my kids have no idea what good dancing is, or maybe even what dancing is! My awkward, skinny, white boy, mennonite, almost on the beat or in the groove joint creaking movements have now been described as "good dancing!" I would love to move to the music naturally, but I have to focus on listening to it and I am a very poor multi-tasker so I can't listen and move at the same time! I can't even clap when I'm singing or I lose my place in the lyrics. Good dancer, indeed!
I guess I wish that I had learned or been shown how to dance properly, it seems like a real natural expression of what the music is doing in people, but for me it looks like I've swallowed something I shouldn't have and can't figure out which end it should come out. I wish I could express what music does in me in that way, I think it would be a cool way to worship God, but it probably will never happen for me. Is it the same for any other mennonites out there?
I will tackle the alcohol issue another time, my brain is tired from trying to type and think at the same time.

Comments

Q&L said…
Did you go to the Ireland pavilion on Archibald? I was there last year, absolutely phenomenal show!
Trevor said…
Yes! It was very good. Owen and Hannah were enthralled by the dancers. In fact, Owen (2 yr old) was praying that night and said, "...thank you for Mommy, Daddy, Ben, Hannah, the goils." meaning the dancing girls. They were amazingly talented!
Anonymous said…
It's never too late to learn!!! MOM
Unknown said…
hey - does your ikky shuffle count as dancing...it's called a touchdown dance isn't it?

ack - rugby players don't dance when we score...silly football players.
Trevor said…
I know that my Icky shuffle was really popular at Camp Evergreen...but I also know that it was not "good" in terms of dance moves.
Tiffany said…
Yay Mennonite food! You're not kidding about that. My Grandma makes the best cottage cheese perogies EVER! You also forgot to mention summer borscht. mmmm

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Drinking Bullies

I feel as though I am about to have a fight with a bully, I fully expect this post to be read as hurtful and condemning to many. That may be the case but here goes anyway. I have long been frustrated by coffee drinkers. I realize that probably 95% of those who are in the blogosphere are those who are regular coffee drinkers, actually *ahem* probably not regular coffee drinkers, they are people who are very particular about the coffee they drink. Most times they take one sip of coffee and declare it to be horrible, or wonderful, or somewhere in between. They do NOT drink any free coffee, especially the coffee served at churches, they do not just go to the corner store for coffee, their coffee must meet very specific requirements and standards. If they make it at home they do not just use a coffeemaker, they must use a various assortment of grinders, presses, and perhaps going as far as to roast their own beans. I know that I am not cool for criticizing coffee drinkers and their habits,

My Work Against Homelessness

I have been thinking quite a lot about homelessness (over the last two years especially) and have come to all kinds of conclusions about myself and the things that I (and the church) need to do in order to help people who are in that situation. I have been involved in a few organizations who work with homeless people and met with many people to discuss what I/we should be doing to help. I finally discovered something very important that I can do right now. I am reading t his book called Bent Hope which is a really interesting read. The author is a Youth Worker who works with young people who live on the streets in Toronto. He walks the streets and hangs out with them and helps when he can. He basically just tells the stories of his encounters with people and talks a little bit about what he has learned from them. I am loving it! So, I know what I am supposed to do to help homelessness. In his book, pretty much everyone he encounters he mentions how they come from a family situa

Mustachio

I have entered the dark underworld of a mustache growing contest, having been drawn in by Nicky's (my wife's) brothers. This is a picture of how put together I looked without a mustache. If you look at the picture below, it would seem that the mustache itself has gotten to me. I am not saying that growing a mustache means you become a drunk, sleazy, stuck in the 80s, trying-to-be-young-but-not-being-successful-at-it type of person, but that is what it has done to me. I find that when I walk I have a different gait, one that I tried to use back in Jr. High...to look cool. I find that I have a renewed passion for wearing hi-top shoes with the laces undone. I have a need to wear brigh t coloured clothing, and I have been looking for acid-wash pants at Value Village (unsuccesfully). The thing is that I also have many good friends who are growing mustaches, and have had mustaches for a long period of time, it doesn't seem to have this kind of impact on them. I work at a churc